Saturday, September 8, 2007

Everyone is taken...

So just be yourself. Just simply be chew.

(haha..pretty cool right?!!) Something interesting I got away from my peer helpers training session in school today. But the last part is attributed to producer Willy Joe. Haha. Anyway, this is a poem shared today too. There's only the first and last paragraph because I feel these 2 paragraphs kind of sums up what I would want to tell myself when I feel lousy. (And the poem is also way way way too long. Hahas..don't have the patience to type everything out). Here goes:

I am me.
In all the world, there is no one exactly like me.
There are persons who have some parts like me,
but no one adds up exactly like me.
.
.
.
I can see, hear, feel, think, say and do.
I have the tools to survive, to be close to others, to be productive,
and to make sense and order out of the world of people
and things outside of me.
I own me, and therefore I can engineer me.
I am me and I am okay.

("I am me" by Virginia Satir)

Being who you are is a choice. And this choice lies in you. You determine how you want to behave, react and interact. You determine your life and destiny by the choices you make. No excuses. It takes a certain kind of strength and tenacity to live it out :)

Anyway..today was my first session! It was really interesting and I learnt more about self-awareness, that before I help others I must first know more about myself; my strengths and limitations. One very interesting activity we did was to link our childhood to who we are today.

Close your eyes.
Think back and recall a time in your childhood that you remember the most.
How old were you at that time?
Where were you?
What were you doing?
Who was with you?
What were you feeling at that point in time?
Do you feel happy? Sad? Angry? Disappointed?
What happened?
.
.
.
Open your eyes.
Now, draw out what you saw on a piece of paper.
Write down what you felt with regards to the picture.

There's a few more questions but I can't remember. This is my drawing:


Ok, I admit I'm not exactly an artist...Hahaha. This is a picture of a playground near my house. The girl on the swing is me and the one squatting down at the sand is my sister. The one standing by the pole is either my maid or one of the playground friends. I was pretty astonished and amazed that this is the image that came to my mind first when I closed my eyes. And the most amazing thing is that as I continued to follow on with the questions, it started to evoke a lot of feelings inside me. And I don't know what were they. Just know they make me wanna cry. But after some thoughts, I kind of conclude that it's nostalgia. Wow..what a strong sentiment. I've not experienced such feelings for so long man! So this is how nostalgia feels like...

How is it related to who I am now? Haha...maybe I don't really wanna talk about this...

Wow..I'm really amazed! What a simple activity. But so powerful. So thought-provoking. So emotions-evoking.

No comments: